Thursday, October 7, 2010

The beginnings of healing......

in attempt of following my "new year's resolution" of taking care of my health this year, i have visited many, many doctors:
  • teeth cleaning, tooth pulled, couple of cavities filled, much, much more dental work to come.... (my jaw is deteriorating....awesome.)
  • regular doc visit resulted in ordering of blood work. blood work that the hospital seems to not want to do for me, as every time i try to file the paperwork for charity care, they need something else.
  • ob/gyn....everything a.o.k....though she keeps pushing for this mammogram thing.....i told her that's for old people. ;-P    (also, suggested i check out my thyroid.  wtf is that anyway?)
  • found a program to get me a free eye exam (did i mention my retina is becoming detached?) and free eye glasses...YAY!   (ps. this doc saw nothing wrong with the retina....maybe a wrong diagnosis originally.)
  • mental health:  regular doc referred to another local hospital.... this hospital i like.  the charity care process was considerably easier, and i was very, very fortunate to get approved for 100%:  truly a God-send.   so, i've had a few visits with the therapists so far and finally got to the pyschiartrist....which put me on meds.  meds that have been making me incredibly sleepy.  (do they not realize depressives already are lethargic???)  supposedly the sleepiness will pass within a few weeks.  (fingers crossed.)
  • also, got two HIV tests this year....a friend was diagnosed earlier this year, so we all went to be safe.
i have a long, long way to go....as i still haven't finished the mouth....just started the therapy....and still have to check this pain in my foot which makes it very painful to walk (i swear i'm 90 some days....)

maybe i just wrote this out to show myself that i've accomplished quite a bit....instead of focusing on what hasn't gotten done yet.

7 comments:

  1. Watch that pain in the foot, honey, swelling and numbness as well...if it doesn't respond to analgesics or reduces swelling, get aggressive with your doc. Mine started like as if my sock was bunched around my toes and progressed to a stone in my shoe and finally ended up looking like a pack of cigarettes was trying to push out of the side of my foot near my ankle.
    I'm jus' sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's Phil, BTW, stuff4u is my retail account...

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol....i was wondering who was stuff4u....
    thanks, sumo :)
    and stuff.... it's more than likely a heel spur (had this once before...had to eventually get surgery.) since i don't have insurance this time around, i'm gonna see how i can deal with it without surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the anti depressants. It's probably going to be rinse repeat for a while. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lex: I've got a similar list I need to make. Oi! Big stuff you're taking care of. That deserves a pat on the back, for sure!

    ReplyDelete